• Locosys GT11

Publicerad av jester på 29 juni, 2007 vid 18:08

it is a fair comment to make that the Locosys GT11 provides enough functions and features to confuse the guys just getting into the sport. But this does not mean that users need to be confused.

The GT11 once setup can simply be turned on when you want to sail and turned off when you finish. Thats it! It automatically creates a new file for you, virtually never runs out of space for the track points and there are no COM ports to configure. The process of transerfing files to the computer could not be simpler than using SD card.

The real issue is in the configuration because there are so many options. But even this has been simplified. You can now upload the configuration onto the unit so you dont even need to worry about that. I think Tom was planning on publishing a GPSSS configuration for the GT11 once all the details of the GT11 are confirmed, so watch out for that.

As to developing an exclusive format, the format is a reproduction of the SIRF binary data format, and SIRF are almost the defacto standard of GPS chipsets, so is readily available for the vast majority of handhend GPS’s to produce. The GT11 is the only unit producing this to a file at present but expect that to change. In the meatime, the NMEA format is also supported and encouraged, which is the most common format produced by GPS units. Both formats provide the doppler data which is the most important feature.

Hittade denna postning av Mal Wright. Låter ju nästan *för* bra för att vara sant. Någon som hört nåt mer om denna enhet? Finns den, eller är det något som håller tas fram eller är det bara en våt dröm?

Hmmm.. Googlade lite, och hittade faktiskt lite information. Kolla här:

http://www.locosystech.com/product.php?zln=en&id=5

Verkar ju vara en högintressant produkt!!

jester svarade 16 år, 1 månad sedan 40 Medlemmar · 212 Svar
  • 212 Svar
  • jester

Medlem
    29 juni, 2007 vid 18:23

Den finns ju i allra högsta grad… Verkar tom vara godkänd även om dom inte hunnit uppgradera Basic rules ännu. Kolla här:

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/gps.asp?mnu=faq&smnu=gps&val=&uid=

Vart köper man en?? 😀

• mgs

Medlem
    29 juni, 2007 vid 20:58

Var kan man köpa den och hur mycket kostar den

• jester

Medlem
    29 juni, 2007 vid 21:25

Kostar runt tusenlappen exkl frakt. Lite billigare i England, men där har dom ju sitt egna system så nätadaptern lär inte fungera.

Jag undersöker det hela…

• mgs

Medlem
    30 juni, 2007 vid 07:55

Är det den här sidan du var inne på http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/search/index.aspx

• jester

Medlem
    30 juni, 2007 vid 10:33

Japp. Verkar vara billigast där, men där finns ju problemet med deras skumma väggkontakter…

• the_novice

Medlem
    30 juni, 2007 vid 10:59

@Jester 393600 wrote:

Japp. Verkar vara billigast där, men där finns ju problemet med deras skumma väggkontakter…

Det brukar inte vara så svårt, viktigast är ju att dem också har 220V. Finns ju tex adaptrar att köpa i england om man vill, men deras kontakt är också väldigt stor och jag tror aldrig att jag sett den sitta direkt i en utrustning utan en kabel i mellan, så i värsta fall är det bara att klippa sladden (vid kontakten) och sätta dit en svensk kontakt för ca 15:- 🙂

Shysst förresten med ett välsittande armband till den också.
    Men står det inte att det bara är 8192 track points???

• jester

Medlem
    30 juni, 2007 vid 13:14

Jo, bara drygt 8000 trackpoints i internminne. Men stoppa in ett SD-minne på 512MB (kostar en dryg hundring) så får du plats med en j-vla massa fler punkter…

Tydligen skall dock inte armbandet vara sp bra, läste om nån cyklist som tappat sin enhet ett par ggr. Dock verkar den tåla att tappas på asfalt i fart, så det är ju bra.

• forfun

Medlem
    30 juni, 2007 vid 20:47

Intressant tråd !

Den verkar vara utrustad med ett SiRF II chip i stället för det nyare SiRF III chippet, med det kanske inte påverkar ?!?

Bappel

Hittade en del info på http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/GPS_Reviews

NaviGPS / (B)GT-11
    Price: without Bluetooth: £64.99 GBP ( ~ 94 €+Shipping)
    Price: with Bluetooth: £76.38 GBP ( ~112 €+Shipping)
    Both the standard and Bluetooth versions of the NaviGPS are available in the UK from Storage Depot. Storage Depot will donate 10% of the purchase price to OSM if you buy a NaviGPS from them – see Shop for details. Storage Depot are now (as at September 2006) supplying the Locosys GPS Tracker GT-11/BGT-11 version – this is identical to the Scytex NaviGPS other than the text on the device says GT-11/BGT-11 instead of NAViGPS. Notice: If you order at Storage Depot the device is delivered without a cycle mount, without an arm strap and with a UK (non Europe) 240V adapter. Storage Depot offer the cycle mount as an option for £6 GBP.
    The Bluetooth version is available in Canada from GPS Central.ca and Mobile GPS Online.
    in the Netherlands, the product is known under the name Amaryllo Trip Tracker. check http://www.amaryllo.com
    Check the Scytex website for other worldwide distributors.
    12 channels.
    Sirf II
    8,192 trackpoints (6,000,000 trackpoints using optional 2GB SD memory card).
    stores up to 1 month – ½ year of tracks on 2GB SD card.
    made for: biking, jogging.

The NaviGPSA compact GPS with basic navigation capabilities and data logging. No facility to display a map.

The GPS performance seems to be acceptable. It makes a nice bleep and flashes a red light when it achieves lock-on which is nice and reassuring.

The unit is solid, well constructed and quite compact. It claims to be waterproof – it is certainly rainproof. It contains a non-replaceable rechargeable li-ion batteries with a maximum battery life of 32 hours. The standard version comes with a car charger as standard. Both models have a USB serial connection for upload and recharging. The ability to recharge via the USB cable is a very nice feature. It also comes with a standard adaptor for recharging from a car and the most compact and nifty 240 volt mains adaptor I have ever seen.

The screen is small (33mm×21mm; 128×64 pixels) but quite readable in daylight with mostly clear displays. The status symbols on the right of the screen (2D/3D, battery indicator, etc.) are quite small and hard to see (with my eyesight). The backlight is red which is a bit unusual (maybe it’s intended to preserve night-vision?). It is easy to accidentally set it permanently on, or permanently off, rather than the default auto-off mode.

It has only 2 buttons for operation: an On/Off/Escape button and a joystick-like button for menu navigation. The joystick can be operated, albeit a bit clumsily, while wearing thin gloves and riding a bicycle. Not sure if it would be possible while wearing very thick gloves (eg ski-gloves).

The manual comes as a PDF document on a CD, or can be downloaded (see below). It is well written (for a Taiwanese user manual), and runs to 66 pages. The editor’s introduction is written from the heart and is a nice touch.

It has all the standard basic GPS features: routes, waypoints and track-logs (but no map display). A trip meter is provided that is clearly designed for the cyclist. It also has configurable alerts for speed, altitude and destinations which some people might find useful.

It comes with a simple Windows application for uploading/downloading routes, waypoints and trackpoints. Installation of the USB serial driver was a bit fiddly, but otherwise it works fine. In the software “Version 1.1 B20060228” there are two main download options (Oziexplorer/GPX/CSV and Waypoint+) in addition to the raw NMEA files. This software version also uses GPSBabel to export the data in KML format suitable for use with Google Maps and Google Earth. There is a backup/restore function which creates a 512k binary file which I suppose is a dump of its flash memory.

For Linux users, the Windows application appears to work OK using wine. The USB interface on the device is supported by the pl2303 driver and appears as a serial port (e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0) providing raw NMEA data for gpsd or gpsdrive. Some further Linux information is at NaviGPS with Linux. This page includes a link to a page describing a Perl script that can be used in place of the Windows program provided with the device.

It can record 8,192 track points in the built-in flash memory at “compact”, 1, 5, 10, 30 and 60 second intervals.

Track logs

It has a slot for an SD memory card which records tracks in NMEA format. A new log file is started as soon as the device is turned on and records continuously. We assume a:

maximum NMEA string has ~500 Bytes/s and a minimal NMEA string has ~100 Bytes/s.
    ⟶ 0.5 .. 2.7 hours / 1MB.
    ⟶ 2000 .. 10000 Trackpoints / 1MB.
    ⟶ 2000K .. 10,000K Trackpoints / 1GB SD card.
    ⟹ 500 .. 2700 hours of pure tracks / 1GB SD card.
    ⟹ 2.5 .. 14 Month of complete Tracklogs (1 sec, 2GB card, 12h/day)
    The SD card track log data can not be read via the USB cable. You need to remove the card and use an external card reader.

Initially the device failed to write any data to my SD card but it worked fine after selecting the “format card” option. The same card had been working fine in a digital camera so perhaps the NaviGPS is a little fussy about the formatting of the card (that’s probably because the NaviGPS expects the card to be formatted without a partition table and will not use the card if it contains one).

To convert the track logs from NMEA to a format usable by openstreetmap, see the NMEA page.

Good Things

Good for cyclists (Notice: cycle mount and arm strap not included if ordered at Storage Depot)
    Price!
    Waterproof
    Lightweight & compact
    Very robust (mine has survived several drops and considerable rough handling)
    8k trackpoints internal Memory (750k trackpoints using 256MB SD card)
    Rechargeable battery
    Rechargeable via USB cable
    User manual is humorous

Bad Things

Backlight – can be left on accidentally
    Status icons – can be hard to read
    Only available in UK, Canada, Russia, Taiwan
    Bike mount not very strong (mine broke, unit fell onto concrete at 20mph)
    Doesn’t do negative altitude, just reads 0ft (tested in Death Valley!)
    Waypoint names can only be 6 characters long
    Does not make tracklog points based on distance.

Summary

Seems to be ideal for the cyclist capturing tracklogs for OSM. Excellent price.

Manual

The PDF manual for the NaviGPS is available from the Scytex website; the manual for the GT-11/BGT-11 is available from the Locosys Technology website (these manuals are essentially identical).

Owners Notes

The NaviGPS page contains notes about the operation of the unit.

Getting Routes from Google Maps

I have written a simple Perl script for grabbing routes from google maps in KML, and converting / saving them to .wtp / .rte format. The usage is:

> gmap2ozi.pl [ routename ] [ postcode 1 ] [ postcode 2 ]
    This could be made more generic quite easily — it is just a first stab! I wrote it out of frustration at my inability in getting useful information onto the device.

It is available at http://ave.wrigley.name/gmap2ozi.pl.

• the_novice

Medlem
    1 juli, 2007 vid 11:27

Shysst info, den verkar ju uppladdningsbar via USB, så då är det ju inga problem med vägg-kontakten!

• surfen

Medlem
    1 juli, 2007 vid 12:08

@The_Novice 393726 wrote:

Shysst info, den verkar ju uppladdningsbar via USB, så då är det ju inga problem med vägg-kontakten!

Inte bara det! Man är laddbar både i bil och hem också…

“Charging of the battery can be done via the supplied mains power supply, optional car charger, or the USB port of the computer.”

What’s included in the package?
    The NaviGPS
    Manual and Drivers on a CD
    Mains Charger
    Car Charger
    USB Lead
    Quick Start Sheet/Guide

Dyker upp en under veckan om man har lite tur….

• jester

Medlem
    1 juli, 2007 vid 13:06
    The_Novice;393726 wrote:

Japp, det stämmer. Men kan ju ibland vara smidigare o ladda via ett gammalt hederligt vägguttag…

• mgs

Medlem
    1 juli, 2007 vid 16:56

Dyker upp en under veckan om man har lite tur….

Lite info då tack

• jorgenk

Medlem
    1 juli, 2007 vid 17:15

jag som tänkt beställa en garmin 201 när jag får semesterpengarna….ska man tänka om kanske?

• jps

Medlem
    1 juli, 2007 vid 17:45

Jag har redan en Foretrex så den får väl ta slut innan jag tänker om. Om jag inte hade haft någon hade jag nog sneglat på denna manick istället. verkar helt klart vara en trevlig liten sak.

• Oregistrerad

Gäst
    1 juli, 2007 vid 18:20

Det e nått fel när folk hetsar upp sig mer över datorprylar än surfprylar…..!

En sak e säker! En dator grunka på armen gör ingen surfare snabbare.
    Näe! Om ni vill veta vem som snabbast och bäst, så är det rejsing som gäller!

Men håll på med era GPSer men ni kommer aldrig impa på mig iallafall!!!

Såvida inte nån kommer upp i dryga 40 knop så e det så jävla ointressant
    att man va ute å körde i 33.8 eller 34.7

Hankloose

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sida 1 av 15

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.