Taggad: 

• Fällbar fena

Publicerad av anonym-anvandare på 17 mars, 2004 vid 12:53

Utdrag från idé jag presenterat för Tor och Starboard R&D Team:
    Folding fin, Tor/starb.team

3/15/2004 4:12:17 PM

Hi Tor and Starboard team!
    This is not the first time I write to you about my idea for Starboard to produce a folding fin systeme.

I´m glad for the positive response I´ve already got from you about the folding fin.
    I´ve choosen to present my idea to Starboard, because I´ve found Starboard to bee the most creative boardproducer.

My idea has evolved from the early folding centerboards, that didn´t retract into the hull, -they just folded back under the hull, easily done with a foot-knob.

The folding fin has lots of positive effects;

Fin straight down: upwind race trim.

Fold it a little bit back and you´ll get better control overpovered in chop.

Sweep it back to 40-45 degrees and it sheds weeds, -you don´t have to buy separate weedfins.

Fold it back even more and you can sail out through shallow waters, and fold it down when you reach deeper waters.
    The dreadful long walks with classic formula fins, to be able to start sailing on deeper water, will be history.

One more positive effect with the folding fin, is when you hit bottom, or something in the water at full speed, -the folding fin automatically folds back.
    No more crashed fins and boxes.

Tor and Starboard Team, -have you given this project more thought?
    I´d be glad if you could fulfil my wish for the folding fin.

Keep up your creative work, it has done wonders for the sport. -Ulf

Ulf Astrom (ulf.astrom@skola.skelleftea.se )

3/16/2004 12:47:34 AM
    Many thanks Ulf. It is nice of you to turn to us.
    There is a lot of stuff going on in R&D dep. at the moment, and the boys in there should be the ones to talk to. I will ask them to get back to you directly.

Cheers,
    Tor (tor@star-board.com )

-Det ser ut som om vi kan få se min idé implementerad/förverkligad i windsurfingsporten, efter mina kontakter med R&D-Teamet.
    -Tänk på den fart du kommer att få i frisk vind på slör, med 10-40 grader bakfälld fena. Vilket ger bakflyttad hydrodynamisk lateraltryckpunkt och därmed mindre våtyta på brädan.(-Seglet kan lutas mer bakåt eftersom den aerodynamika tryckpunkten alltid harmonierar med den hydrodynamiska) Mvh. -Ulf

teabag svarade 20 år, 1 månad sedan 6 Medlemmar · 7 Svar
  • 7 Svar
  • dr-masse

Medlem
    17 mars, 2004 vid 14:23

Nu har man ju åkt bräda med fällbar fena (ööh, en riktig åttitalspråm, Vinta?) men för Formula-liknande brädor så tycker jag att det kan vara en seriöst bra idé. Fenan sitter ju dessutom såpass lång bak att en “spalt” i brädans akter inte behöver bli särskilt stor eller djup alls.

Kul idé!

• copello01

Medlem
    18 mars, 2004 vid 07:23

Positiv idé! Jag försöker hitta nackdelar:

Nackdelen är att det blir mer trim. Jobbigt att mecka med fena under segling, men och andra sidan är det ju frivilligt. Det kommer även att ställas stora krav på kvalité. Jag vill inte ha en fena som inte sitter där jag vill ha den samt svår att flytta. Några kommer sakna chickenstrappen om den försvinner för den lär väl inte få plats.

• teabag

Medlem
    22 mars, 2004 vid 21:08

Du är en smart fan du Ulf.

Min senaste tanke har gått något i den här stilen.

Varför sitter fenan längst bak när den rimligen borde ge mest effekt rakt under seglet ?
    Varför skulle man inte kunna ha ett centerbord typ men modernare på alla brädor där upwindsegenskaperna borde prioriteras.
    Min gamla pråm är just det – helt outstanding att gå i upwind. Borde gå att göra något mer modernt, lättare, mindre ??

Jag tycker du skall fortsätta den inslagna vägen.

• ola_p

Medlem
    23 mars, 2004 vid 09:02

Faktum e att fenan sitter ungefär över seglets tryckpunkt på en formula…

• anonym-anvandare

Medlem
    23 mars, 2004 vid 16:01

Förutom dessa svar på SB forum har R&D avdelningen kontaktat mej per e-post, kanske får vi se min idé förverkligad i produktion. Mvh -Ulf

3/18/2004 3:54:33 AM
    Hey Ulf.

Your idea sounds cool. But my first question as a designer is allways: “Is it possilbe to realize???”
    There are so many different things to think about, when developing a product (price, production, durability, image……)

We finished ourself a brand new daggerboarrd system – and I can tell you, it’s goooooood! But I know too, how much work is in such a project.

Be prepared!

Udo (design n service) (customerservices@star-board.com )

3/20/2004 10:26:55 AM
    Thanks Tor and R&D dep. / Udo, for showing interest for my idea!

I believe you´ve allready seen the possibilities for the recreational and racing market, if you´d implement/realize the Folding Fin into production.

I´ve been windsurfing actively both abroad and in Sweden for almost 25 years, owning almost 40 boards from centerboard raceboards to small needles and powerful Formulas. To that I´ve been renting even more boards and sailing boats and dingies at international and the highest national level, so I´m familiar with trimsolutions and what leads to performance and comfort for the sailor/windsurfer.

Just another super function from the Folding Fin systeme:
    For transportation and storage you just take hold of the foot- knob on the Folding FIn, and pull it out of the board in a second, no tools and bolts needed to remove the fin.

The Folding Fin is for the big fin market ( racing, recreational real world sailors) where the outset footstraps generate lots of lateral force on the finhead at speed. -This force in combination with friction material (rubber) inside the finbox, will keep the Folding Fin in whatever trim-angle you decide it to be. The friction material also stops air to travel through the box, -anti spinout function.

The pivot-point inside the finbox, should be absolute back down, to make shure the hole fin area stays under the hull, when the Folding Fin is folded max back (parallel with the bottom of the board). This will give you enough hydrodynamical lateral resistance to sail out through very shallow waters before you fold it down on deeper waters.

The forward (profiled) section of the finhead, (outside or inside the box according to trim-angle of the Folding Fin) should bee in form of a cirkel, where the center is the pivot point. This will provide a perfect fit in the box at all trim-angles.

Udo, thanks for your coresponding, directly to me on my e-mail adress.
    I´m prepared for more.

Ulf Astrom (ulf.astrom@skola.skelleftea.se )

3/21/2004 12:04:46 AM
    Ulf, of all ideas that have been tried in our sport only cams and monofilm have made it to universal acceptance but an adjustable fin or fin box would be the most likely candidate for the next great step.
    david ( )

• the_novice

Medlem
    23 mars, 2004 vid 16:38

Jag har nog inte riktigt fattat hur det är tänkt att se ut, har du ngn skiss/ritning?
    Det låter lite som en variant av centerbordslösningar, men med rotationen i bakkanten av fenan?
    Det där med lagom friktion låter lite pyssligt, det blir ju väldigt olika tryck i sidled beroende på hur man seglar?

• teabag

Medlem
    25 mars, 2004 vid 21:56

Hej Ulf,

Bytte Bahia med Cabarete och när man nu är en sopa så får man hållas till de stora brädorna….
    Jag körde en Discovery 170 och det fanns två typer en med och en utan en centerfena.
    Jag märkte inte någon stor skillnad i vattnet men dock när jag närmade mig stranden.
    Efter alla de märken jag fick och den krossade stortån hade jag älskat ett uppfällbart centerbord.

Shorebreaket var så högt och det var ganska grunt på vissa ställen. Centerbordet tog i botten och vred hela ekipaget på absolut nolltid. Jag hann inte undan när jag helt plötsligt vreds i sidled och la masten på benen och foten…

Hade centerbordet varit uppfällbart hade det aldrig hänt…

Hursomhelst så verkar några brädtillverkare testa med ett centerbord lite längre bak som går att fälla upp så snabba dig på att patentera din lösning.

Ha det bra

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.