Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Slalom, Speed & Racing Is formula kit the way to go?

Taggad: 

• Is formula kit the way to go?

Publicerad av petter_f på 12 augusti, 2008 vid 11:57

When my wife and I go on our summer holiday and stay at the family ‘landställe’ we are faced with a real delema; what kit to take.

I’ve taken a short board for when the storms roll in. But brutal shore breaks on slimy rocks makes it almost impossible to get out on the ‘out side’, and in the sound it is gusty and too light for that board. The year after that I took my 105L freestyle with largest sail (6.0) for the light days, both in the sound and on the outside where a light seabreeze can blow, but that was not really enough for locked in planing.

Now we think we have too buy a big kit (and leave it there, just too much stuff to lug there and back every year). I want something that still feels lively but will work in light winds. Quite often it blows around 5-6m/s and can get up to 8m/s. We are light weights, me being 65-8kg and my wife less than 60kg.

Firstly, is formula kit the way to go or is a large freeride board better?

If so, what size sail should we get for our weight? I have sailed for years but my wife is an advancing intermediate (planing very fast now and almost pulling off carve gybes).

Strictly looking for second-hand gear, so how old kit could I consider (was there a year that board design made a jump up in design)? I don’t need cutting edge performance as we won’t be racing. We just want something that still feels lively and not like a pråm. I have time to wait until something comes up that suites performance and my wallet.

Any opinions much welcome.

svanvik svarade 15 år, 9 månader sedan 3 Medlemmar · 3 Svar
  • 3 Svar
  • joachim_larsson

Medlem
    12 augusti, 2008 vid 17:18

check http://www.kona-windsurfing.com that are the way to go,the Kona ONE, test it before you bye anything else….

//Joachim http://www.konanordic.com

• petter_f

Medlem
    12 augusti, 2008 vid 17:44

Thanks Joachim, I have previously looked at the site and have, as others, had a hard time thinking a board of that size will give me a lively experience (am strictly look second-hand too). But as many say, it is a revolutionary board and one has to ride it to get what it’s about. And I don’t want to turn this into a Kona vs Formula thread. I can read through the older threads for that. 🙂

Do you hold demo days down south (Malmö) at any time of the year?

• svanvik

Medlem
    12 augusti, 2008 vid 20:04

I would definately go for formula. Unbeatable lightwind and upwind performance, given you can get up planeing. With your weights that should be pretty early.

I use 11.0 and 12.5 sails but my weigt is ~92kg. My favorit is actually the 12,5 as long as I dont get it into the whater. The realy good thig is that one can get out on the beautifull days with just the breze and beet nearly every possible sailing device.

What size for you? I would go for something like 11 and maybe ad a smaller sail but definately not less than 9.

It took me a while to get used to the whide board and the long boom in the jibes but it is manageble. There are also a lot of good equipment to by here. If you dont compete I think that everything from 2001 will do quite good.

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Slalom, Speed & Racing Is formula kit the way to go?

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.