Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Konfen Vindsurfing Kauli om quads, twins och singelfenor

• Kauli om quads, twins och singelfenor

Publicerad av dr-masse på 26 februari, 2010 vid 12:02

Rätt intressant intervju med Kauli om hans plankor från http://www.umipictures.com/

whatcha-ridin-kauli-01.jpg

In whatcha ridin we’re checking out what the umi boys are riding and why. Third in this series is three times PWA wave world champion Kauli Seadi. In 2007 Kauli paved the path towards multifin boards when he first introduced his twinzers at the Cabo Verde world cup. A year later almost all riders were using twinfins and now most brands have a twinfin range in their production line up. Time for Kauli to take it one step further: from twins to quads. We asked him about his different boards and the latest developments.

You seem to bring more boards with you on tour than any other riders.
    ‘I am always working on my boards, looking for the ultimate shape to implement my surfing style into windsurfing. The development of boards is where my passion lies. This is where the possibilities to improve the level is so I push it hard.’

Your boards look different from the JP production boards, why is that?
    ‘Of course since I am developing the boards, I will try out different shapes. I try out different outlines, tail shapes, I move the fins around to see what works best. If I would just use the boards we already have we wouldn’t be able to make any progress!’

You have all sorts of boards, let start with the single fins, what can you tell about those?
    ‘The single fin here I made last year for the world cup in Sylt. The rocker is a bit flatter and the board is quite wide and long so it goes through the white water really well. It is really Sylt oriented: the board measures about 57,5 cm wide and has a bit of a winger, I tend to use a lot of back foot at some point and if there’s too much area in the tail it doesn’t turn so well. With the quads I have been able to open the width point of the board and with the fins near the rail you can still use the rail with the wider tails but with just one fin in the centre the board is too wide and it was not really working. In the last Sylt event I used this single fin in the expression session at the last day. Dead onshore, walls of white water, it just works better then cause it gives me more speed.’

What can you tell us about your quads?
    ‘The quad was something that I designed to follow the same philosophy of a twin. I wanted to improve some of the things that I missed from a single fin and combine it with the things I loved about twins. Twins are manoeuvrable boards and you can mix back foot riding with rail riding. Quads are a bit more stiff but still have the feel of using the rails like twins have, these boards are almost all the time rail oriented for a true surf feel, which really suits my style.
    ‘I have been experimenting with the quads for over a year now. At first we had a flat tail, but with the fish tail it seemed to work a bit better. I had a winger in the tail which enabled me to get a straighter line through the foot straps to get a bit more projection in the turns. The first quads I played around a bit and now after many prototypes I have gone back to a more traditional rounded pintail with slight wingers.’

When do you use your quads?
    ‘I use the quad for most conditions now, but specially for side onshore wave riding they are nice when there are good size waves. My quads are like twinzers with stabilisers in the front. It intensified the transition from a single to a twin: the single was like a fast board on which you couldn’t really use the rails. Then with the twinzer you could already use the rails much more. The quad is like two times more: you can really use the rails. You can still feel a bit like a twin, you keep the loose feeling. The quads do longer turns, they are more drivey. At the same time if you step hard you can do short turns like on twins. In the Sylt contest with pretty onshore conditions I used my 57 cm wide quad in the first single elimination, which for me is a really big board. The wind was super strong: 4.5 full power and I was still riding easy with a lot of control.’

Is there still space for twinfins in your boardbag?
    ‘Yes of course! When I get stronger winds I prefer the twinfins to the quads. With a quad you need to do proper turns, with twinfins you can do snappier turns on the tail. For that a twinfin works better. The twin is a bit more agile and manoeuvrable , the quad tend to draw a bit longer lines. The twin fin make you use more of the rail and they give the rider that fluid style… more lose and connected to the wave.’

What about the bottom shape of your boards?
    ‘All my boards have concave to double concave and a bit of V through the middle around the mast track to improve the rail to rail qualities. We keep that same bottom shape on all the boards as it works very well.’

What’s with the outline of the boards?
    ‘The outline of my twinfins used to be a bit longer and straighter than my quads, but I now work with the same outlines for my quads and twinfins. The biggest challenge was to find the right fin position for the quads. The setup is very important and it took me a very long time to find out the right combination.’

Quad surfboards usually have the bigger fins in front, why did you choose to have the big fins in the back?
    ‘Surfboards get speed from the wave, windsurfboards run on the flats as well so you need something to give you speed, otherwise you will be too slow. Since back fins give more projection and speed, I chose to have the bigger fins in the back. I tried many different ways and in the end I found out the best setup was with the back ones closer together, and the side ones closer to the rail. When the fins are too big in the front I get the feeling that I get stuck too much in the rails, you cannot go rail to rail very easily.’

The final question to clear it all up: what’s for when?
    ‘For side-onshore wave riding conditions I use quads now. They really draw lines and you have good control. With twins you lose a bit of control, but in onshore conditions with smaller waves, when you want to be turning a bit more I think a twinfin is better. Single fins I only use when it is really onshore and the riding is mostly backside.

‘I think for someone who has always just used single fins it is better to first learn how to sail a twinzer waveboard. Learn to use the rails, to lean the body more forward and then move to a quad. With the quad I make most of my turns with the rails, that’s how you manoeuvre. This is also why it is good to have the small fins close to the rails, as they provide just the amount of grip you need.’

surfslusken svarade 14 år, 2 månader sedan 13 Medlemmar · 23 Svar
  • 23 Svar
  • rrd

Medlem
    26 februari, 2010 vid 12:46

Kul läsning! Det är roligt att läsa alla åsikter och argument kring detta ständigt aktuella ämne. Var nyss ute i garaget/surfförrådet o klämde lite på mina brädor, dom mår inte bra av att bara ligga i sin boardbag på sina hyllor. Utan surf i dec, jan, feb…

• surfmeister

Medlem
    1 mars, 2010 vid 20:39
    RRD;599771 wrote:
    Var nyss ute i garaget/surfförrådet o klämde lite på mina brädor, dom mår inte bra av att bara ligga i sin boardbag på sina hyllor. Utan surf i dec, jan, feb…

….och dessutom köpte jag en ny vinterdräkt för säsongen som endast är använd tre gånger. Ska det kanske bli surf i mars? Inte enligt den senaste skitprognosen. Jag lägger nog av i år; ingen poäng med att genomlida detta!

• goose

Medlem
    2 mars, 2010 vid 15:05
    surfmeister;600075 wrote:
    ….och dessutom köpte jag en ny vinterdräkt för säsongen som endast är använd tre gånger. Ska det kanske bli surf i mars? Inte enligt den senaste skitprognosen. Jag lägger nog av i år; ingen poäng med att genomlida detta!

Yeah right att du slutar i år….Tempo Twin76 väntar…hehe…dessutom en K86 också :-))

• dude

Medlem
    2 mars, 2010 vid 19:18

Tack för läsningen Masse! Det var riktigt intressant.

• surfslusken

Medlem
    4 mars, 2010 vid 07:51

De där vart man ju inte klokare av. Kan inte bara nån tala om för oss som bara har 1 eller kanske 2 brädor hur många fenor de ska sitta på dom. Han blöddrar ju bara om va som funkar bäst i olika förhållanden o på spot X är de bäst, på spot Y den osv osv.
    Men hur många av oss (förutom Ola H o Jesper B) har 10 olika brädor i garaget???

HUR MÅNGA FENOR SKA DE VA I ÅR????

Blå är väl fortfarande färgen som gäller???

• dr-masse

Medlem
    4 mars, 2010 vid 09:14

Det är fyra brädor som gäller, med en, två, tre och fyra fenor. Dessa fyra har man givetvis i två olika storlekar, och kompletterar med en större och mindre i varje av de som har flest fenor. 10 brädor. 28 fenor. Mycket logiskt.

Det skall alltså vara 28 fenor i år. Som man har i minst tre olika storlekar för olika förhållanden samt ifall någon går sönder.

Alltså 84 fenor. Grymt smidigt.

Samtliga fenor och brädor är självklart blå, som är färgen som gäller i år.

• ola-h

Medlem
    4 mars, 2010 vid 10:32

Jag har nog 84 fenor. Fast jag har bara 26 med mig till Maui.

• surfslusken

Medlem
    4 mars, 2010 vid 10:50
    Ola H.;600432 wrote:
    Jag har nog 84 fenor. Fast jag har bara 26 med mig till Maui.

Ola du kanske missade att DU o Jeppe var undantagen här. Fråga dej hur många fenor man ska ha i vår (va som gäller i höst lär inte ens du ha nån aning om) lär sluta som Kauils råd ovan, med att man bör ha minst 10 brädor me olika fenuppsättningar!
    För att inte snacka om fenorna man MÅSTE ha för att täcka både sol, regn och varierande temperaturer.

• rasmus_w

Medlem
    4 mars, 2010 vid 11:33

Är det sol behöver du väl ingen fena, det räcker väl med ett parasoll, en sjuttonåring och en platta kalla öl!

Vad du nu ska med parasollet till…

• poppo

Medlem
    4 mars, 2010 vid 22:03

härligt att slusken är tillbaka.

ola, det är jättemånga fenor. verkligen.

rasmus, din badboy. lugna dig. tänk på att det faktiskt finns ett par kvinnliga användare på detta forum. you dawg.

när ska den här sjuka vintern släppa….

suck.

• lars_k

Medlem
    5 mars, 2010 vid 02:51

I min CarbonArt ska de va 1st fena o i min Quatro ska de va 4st fenor. Det är iaf vad jag kommit fram till när jag räknat hålen där bak på plankorna. Synd det är så meckigt med 4st bara – inge vidare om man har tummen mitt i näven!

Så det jag vill ha sagt är att hur många fenor de ska va beror på hur många hål plankan du råkat köpa har där bak. Inget konstigt med det!

• philippos

Medlem
    5 mars, 2010 vid 06:20

Spottade precis Kaulis bil här på Maui. Ser helgrym ut i shapen!

• mats_o

Medlem
    5 mars, 2010 vid 07:23

Fasen, det där måste va en gammal bild från igår, så här kör han idag! Fram me fräsen igen!

• lars_k

Medlem
    5 mars, 2010 vid 07:32

Oh shit. Nu måste jag köpa en JP också!

• surfslusken

Medlem
    5 mars, 2010 vid 07:51
    Lars_K;600517 wrote:
    I min CarbonArt ska de va 1st fena o i min Quatro ska de va 4st fenor. Det är iaf vad jag kommit fram till när jag räknat hålen där bak på plankorna. Synd det är så meckigt med 4st bara – inge vidare om man har tummen mitt i näven!

Så det jag vill ha sagt är att hur många fenor de ska va beror på hur många hål plankan du råkat köpa har där bak. Inget konstigt med det!

Ja har sett filmer där dom klämmer in 2st där bak fast de bara finns ett hål. De tyckte iaf jag såg aningen konstigt ut, men de kan ju va mej de e fel på i de fallet?

Sida 1 av 2

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Konfen Vindsurfing Kauli om quads, twins och singelfenor

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.