Senaste nytt Forums Kitesurfing Konfen Kitesurfing first surfboard session – good and bad

• first surfboard session – good and bad

Publicerad av _dave på 18 oktober, 2010 vid 09:02

Managed a quick session at Askim before work. Tested a proper surfboard for the first time (6’6″x18″5/8) and it felt great. But would you adam-and-eve it I managed to run over some rocks. Didn’t feel so bad, but I lost two fins and need to repair a nice hole where one of the fins went back into the board. What a dick!

Live and learn.

Anyone got any cheap FCS fins they can sell me? Repair tips would also be nice. I figure I’ll cut out a bunch of stuff and put some epoxy in, perhaps with some glass bubbles to thicken it. The back of the FCS insert has broken, but I presume that I can just use some epoxy to build it up again.

_dave svarade 13 år, 6 månader sedan 5 Medlemmar · 9 Svar
  • 9 Svar
  • yann

Medlem
    18 oktober, 2010 vid 09:48

Med tanke på längden på brädan så låter det som en vanlig shortboard gjord för vågsurf. Är du säker på att det inte är polyester den är gjord av? Det funkar visserligen att laga poly med epoxy (men inte tvärtom) men epoxy är jobbigare att handskas med.

• _dave

Medlem
    18 oktober, 2010 vid 11:44

Yup – it’s a completely standard polyester shortboard. Would you repair it with polyester? I thought most people still did repairs with epoxy since it is easy to get small amounts in various thicknesses. I’ve never worked with polyester – I didn’t know it would be easier (apart from sanding).

Yann;636124 wrote:
    Med tanke på längden på brädan så låter det som en vanlig shortboard gjord för vågsurf. Är du säker på att det inte är polyester den är gjord av? Det funkar visserligen att laga poly med epoxy (men inte tvärtom) men epoxy är jobbigare att handskas med.
  • rydstrom

Medlem
    18 oktober, 2010 vid 13:06

om du inte vill göra det själv så kan du kolla med CLS-uffe i varberg

• _dave

Medlem
    18 oktober, 2010 vid 13:46
    Rydstrom;636153 wrote:
    om du inte vill göra det själv så kan du kolla med CLS-uffe i varberg

Thanks for the tip. I only paid 1k for it so it does not have to be perfect.

• yann

Medlem
    18 oktober, 2010 vid 18:10
    _Dave;636143 wrote:
    Yup – it’s a completely standard polyester shortboard. Would you repair it with polyester? I thought most people still did repairs with epoxy since it is easy to get small amounts in various thicknesses. I’ve never worked with polyester – I didn’t know it would be easier (apart from sanding).

Epoxy är ju allergent som tusan och man måste ha kemhandskar när man handskas med det. Har bara gjort någon enstaka lagning i epoxy men tyckte det var krångligare än poly. Kör på det du är bekvämast med.

• byguy

Medlem
    19 oktober, 2010 vid 07:26

Dave,
    Epoxy is a glue, polyester isn’t, so epoxy is better suited to repairs. There is one caution though, epoxy cures on polyester, but polyester doesn’t cure on epoxy. If you have an epoxy surface you’ll have to paint it before using polyester again (but why should you?)
    The broken plug should be replaced, but for 1K board I would glue the new fins to the board. With the FCS plugs the fins are pulled out easily when hitting objects creating a bigger damage than if they stayed in place. (compare how hard you can hit with a twin tip).
    Another thing, don’t remove any material, just dry out and fill with epoxy or a mixture of epoxy and microballons if the holes are big. When filling holes let the curing be in a temperature around 18 degrees (Celcius) to avoid burning of the epoxy.
    If you are lost doing this I can help you.
    031 7729017
    Guy

• _dave

Medlem
    19 oktober, 2010 vid 08:12

Awesom reply (och på engelska dessutom, you are spoiling me) – thanks Guy. Not sure I’m ready for glassing in the fins but if a simpler fix doesn’t hold I’ll try that.

• above_the_law

Medlem
    19 oktober, 2010 vid 09:05

Epoxy is stronger and more easy to mix in small proportions. Use gloves and fresh air;-).
    You can have some FCS fins from me rally cheap Dave.
    I also have a FCS fin plug for emergency fixing, but I have used the screws from it for a nother board, so save your old ones.
    Whatkind of fins was it? Thrusters (r/l) or center?
    You have my number I think…

• _dave

Medlem
    26 oktober, 2010 vid 21:30

Thanks again for all the tips and offers of help.

The repair was dead easy once I found something to stuff in the fin hole to stop the resin getting in. Just thought I’d pass on a tip about fins. Bought a set of plastic fantastic fins. Took a week to arrive from the UK.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/johnny_rad/m.html

I bought the factory seconds and they are perfectly OK. SEK160 for a set of three including postage. Not for high performance of course but a good idea if you don’t have any spares.

Logga in för att svara.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Senaste nytt Forums Kitesurfing Konfen Kitesurfing first surfboard session – good and bad

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.