Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Konfen Vindsurfing Reinforcing camber batten tips with fiber?

• Reinforcing camber batten tips with fiber?

Publicerad av plettil på 17 juli, 2014 vid 16:12

Hello,
    Sorry not to write in Swedish but my skill don’t extend that far. 🙁
    I broke the tips of one my camber batten S-Type 2 times. It is very difficult to find the real replacer even at surf.se. It does not look like the strength or the design of the batten really matters…you get a fiber rod that look like yours but not sure it is the one for it.
    Since I understood some of you were skilled in composite, I would like to ask if you think that I could reinforce the tips area (basically 1cmx0,4cm section) where the cam is pushing by adding some aramid sleeve over it? It does not feel right becaue I don’t know how it would bound the the glass fiber rod, but I don’t know.
    What do you think? I don’t feel like this glass short fiber rod is the most advanced design for this type of flex and alternate pressure.
    Doed anyone know if someone tried to build up his/her own batten rod from unidirectional yarn?
    Thank you for your answers.
    Kind regards,
    Plettil

plettil svarade 9 år, 9 månader sedan 2 Medlemmar · 2 Svar
  • 2 Svar
  • ramrob

Medlem
    18 juli, 2014 vid 07:21

I have also broken the batten tip on my S-Type and repaired it with a new batten rod from Surf.Se. I think this is the best way to repair. Just make sure that the replacement rod is the of the same dimensions as the original so that you get the right bend curve for the draft (there are several different dimensions to choose from acccording to which batten/sail they are to be used with).
    Reinforcement of the batten tip at the point where it enters the camber inducer could be a step towards preventing further breakage, but don’t go so far that it will affect the bend curve. I added a second set of “rollers” inside the camber inducer abt halfway between the std rollers and the entry to the cam so that the bend of the batten would not be so sharp. Working ok so far (1 year later).
    And, DO NOT release the outhaul before you have released the downhaul and snapped the cams off the mast when de-rigging as this puts a very sharp bend on the battens – and could be the reason for the breakage.

• plettil

Medlem
    18 juli, 2014 vid 12:22

Hej,
    Tack for din svar.
    I just made the repair with a new fiberglass rod. It is 1mm (out of 10mm) less large than the original one….and 0,5mm (out of 4mm) thicker but was the closest one available at surf.se.
    I understand there are many tips but I would dream that north have a clearly identified tips for the sail…it looks a bit like lottery right now.
    And yes, I am de-rigging as per the book…. Down-all first and cam and out all. The only thing I might make bad is the rigging, I might not pull the wish before snapping in the cam…
    Mvh,
    Plettil

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Konfen Vindsurfing Reinforcing camber batten tips with fiber?

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.