Senaste nytt Forums Kitesurfing Konfen Kitesurfing Kiteolyckor…

• patrikol

Medlem
    14 november, 2003 vid 02:57

Lite mer info om kiteolyckan i Maiami
    > I just received the following detailed accident summary from Kent
    > Marinkovic, close friend and colleague of Alex Caviglia. Kent interviewed
    > several bystanders and kiteboarders at the accident scene in preparing
    this
    > summary.
    >
    >
    > “On Tuesday, November 12, 2003 at approximately 3:30 pm, Alex Caviglia the
    > President of Adventure Sports was injured in a serious kiteboarding
    > accident. The incident occurred at Matheson Hammock Park in a suburb of
    > Miami. Matheson Hammock is one of the most popular locations for
    > kiteboarding in Miami. The conditions at the time of the incident were
    > ranging between 21-34 MPH and gusty. The wind was from the NNE and
    directly
    > onshore. The incident occurred within seconds after the launch of his
    kite.
    > The launch area is confined and approximately 35 meters in length and 2
    to-5
    > meters in width (from the water to the parking lot). Due to the onshore
    > conditions and the narrow width of the launch site, Alex was limited to
    > being only 4 to 5 feet from the shore (knee deep in water) prior to his
    > launch. His kite was also either over the land or just 2-3 feet off the
    > shoreline. An experienced kiteboarder assisted in the launching of Alex’s
    > kite and had released the kite after Alex had signaled him to do so. The
    > launch was clean and free from fouls or twists. Alex proceeded to raise
    the
    > kite to approximately the 3:00 position (about 12 to18 feet above the
    water
    > and very low). Just after the launch, the gusty conditions caused the kite
    > to drift slightly back (down wind and over the shoreline), approximately 8
    > to10 feet from its original position which was far forward and out of the
    > power zone. The kite quickly and sharply accelerated, causing Alex to
    lurch
    > forward, out of control. Given the extremely narrow span of the launch
    > region, Alex had literally a fraction of a second before colliding with
    the
    > shoreline. Two witnesses (both kitesurfers) indicated that Alex had
    neither
    > the time, nor the opportunity to activate his safety release system and
    that
    > his hands never left the bar.
    >
    > Fortunately, two of the witnesses on the beach (one a kiter) were fire
    > fighters and certified paramedics. The first assistance by one of the
    > witnessing paramedics reached Alex within 15 seconds of the time of the
    > accident. The quick acting paramedics were able to contact emergency
    > services within seconds and directly request that the Trauma center launch
    a
    > rescue helicopter immediately. Alex was airlifted to Jackson Memorial
    Trauma
    > center in Miami where he remains.
    >
    > Alex’s current condition is critical, but stable. He has suffered serious
    > head injuries, but doctors have performed procedures that have gone as
    > planned and without incident. He is reported to also have other serious,
    but
    > less threatening injuries. These injuries are yet to be determined.
    Doctors
    > at Jackson Memorial hospital have indicated that more information on the
    > severity of Alex’s injuries will come during the next 48 hours. “
    >
    >
    > Kent related some encouraging news from the hospital to me. Alex has
    revived
    > to a degree into what the doctors call a “light coma.” That is even though
    > he is still unconscious, he is responding to some verbal instructions.
    Alex
    > still has some ground to recover but this is excellent news! Alex, our
    > prayers and thoughts are with you.
    >
    > _________________
    > FKA, Inc.
    > transcribed by: Rick Iossi

• andyk

Medlem
    18 november, 2003 vid 23:11

From this morning’s SMH

frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
    A kitesurfer in New Zealand was caught by a gust of wind and hurled about 50 metres over some trees before crashing on the roof of his own house.

The incident, at Golden Bay at the northern tip of the South Island, has left the 43-year-old man in Nelson Hospital’s intensive care unit with leg, chest and shoulder injuries.

He was in a stable condition today but his injuries were considered serious.

Senior constable Crispin Lee of the Takaka police said a gust of wind blew the kitesurfer about 50 metres from the beach while he and the kite were about four metres up in the air.

He went over the top of some trees, crashed into the roof of his own house and slipped down on to a fence where he came to rest, Mr Lee said.

Trudy Charlett, who lives in Pohara, said she was walking on the beach when there was “a real good swirl of wind”.

It picked up the kitesurfer, who is her neighbour, and flung him through the air toward his property.

“It gave me a shock. One minute he was waving to me from the edge of the tide, the next thing I saw him flying through the air,” she said.

“He was quite high above the ground. I thought ‘where is he going to end up?’.”

Ms Charlett said the kite ended up in a neighbour’s tree but the board was still attached to the kitesurfer when he was found.

The incident had left her shocked.

“As soon as I closed my eyes last night (in bed) I saw him again flying through the air,” she said.

The man was flown to hospital by the Nelson-Marlborough Rescue Helicopter which had to fly at a lower altitude than usual to prevent aggravating his punctured lung.

Helicopter pilot Quentin Hulse said the patient “wasn’t terribly happy” about the situation.

NZPA

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/18/1069027081564.html

• patrikol

Medlem
    21 november, 2003 vid 19:38

Nyheter om olyckan i Miami!

I just received the following update from Kent Marinkovic on the condition
    of Alex Caviglia. Most will recall that Alex was severely injured in a
    recent kiteboarding accident.

“November, 20, 2003

Alex Caviglia is still in intensive care at Jackson Memorial NSICU. He
    seems to be progressing well and apparently cleared a substantial hurdle
    last evening. He is reported to have come out of his coma and is lightly
    responding to verbal inquiries. The next few days will hopefully bring
    exponential progress for Alex. Alex’s family is strong and remains very
    positive. Alex’s wife Silvia and his kids Bianca and Michael want to thank
    everyone for the good wishes and support that the entire community has given
    to Alex.

For those that are interested in sending best wishes please use the address
    below. It is amazing to see what some positive energy has done for Alex and
    his family so far. Thank you.

Kent Marinkovic
    Adventure Sports

Address:

Silvia Caviglia
    5724 SW 131 TERRACE
    MIAMI, FL 33156

• nilsson

Medlem
    26 november, 2003 vid 18:18

someone was killed during kiteing today does anybody have more info about it?

Reportedly it happened after launching his kite (8m with 115 kgs rider, pretty strong wind). While attaching his boardleash his kite went through the powerzone and dragged hime over the beach for 30 meters. Head first into some wooden poles that are on that spot (Slufter it is called).
    Bad luck! Once again condoleances and let’s all learn from it!

I lost my good friend today.
    Ronald was iko kitesurf instructeur.
    I am glad I have had some unforgettable moments with him .
    My condolances to his wife Esther and his friends and family

Erik Boer

we of hanglos.nl / kitesurfing-freak.com / kitehigh.nl have put up an website for Ronald.

http://www.kitehigh.nl/ronald/ronald.php

Andy

Ännu en tråkig olycka! finns inte mycket att säga/Mvh bengt

• patrikol

Medlem
    26 november, 2003 vid 21:33

Ja det är fruktansvärt tragiskt.

• kitelife

Medlem
    26 november, 2003 vid 23:06

IKO’s rapport…

We have received very sad news today. A Dutch IKO instructor, Ronald Verspoor died of a kiteboarding accident in The Netherlands.

So far, we know that the accident happened as he was riding in strong (7 Beaufort), gusty on shore wind. He crashed in a wooden sea wall, common on coasts where there are tides. He was not wearing a helmet, as he usually did. We will have more information and post in on the pro area of the web site by tomorrow.

Many accidents have occurred with onshore gusty winds. These are NOT SAFE riding conditions. Even the best riders have been taken by a gust. Please avoid kiteboarding in such conditions.

IKO would like to express its deepest condolences to his family and friends.

//Pan

• patrikol

Medlem
    3 december, 2003 vid 14:45

Another rider died today in Oz. It was in Tasmania. Details are sketchy at present. Appears the experienced rider launched a Cabrinha 2003 CO2 in onshore conditions, launch went bad for some reason, and was then lofted into a tree, died of head injuries.
    Condolences to his girlfriend and fellow kiter who was the person who helped him launch.
    Friends will be assisting her to deal with her loss, and will also investigate the incident more closely.
    He was a member of AKSA, and media enquiries will be handled if necessary, by AKSA.

This summer is shaping up to be the most dangerous on record, the market is flooded with used and new kite brands. People are doing desperate things to trade up their gear, sell brands they import, shops are selling gear with the promise of a lesson they know they cannot deliver, and the mad mindset of begginers who assume they can launch any kite anywhere, regardless of how lines or leashes are connected.
    Please be pro active at your kite spot, if you see a begginer who is obviously in need of help or a lesson, please DO something, go talk to them, at least.
    I wonder how many more will die this summer in Oz, judging by the number of near misses just at my local spot, it will be several at least!

Regards
    Steve McCormack
    För jävligt frown.gif

• anonym-anvandare

Medlem
    4 december, 2003 vid 13:18

Hjälm kan rädda!
    Själv va jag med om en mindre skönt fall! Jag skulle hoppa och kom några meter upp, sedan kom en vindby och tog tag i draken som flyttade sig till powerzon. Jag flög vågrätt ett antal meter kanske 10-20 meter och föll ner på bröstet, tappade luften och knäckte ett par revben. Där jag landade var det ca 1 dm djupt. Huvudet fick sig också en riktig smäll. MEN jag hade hjälm!!! Det kanske va det som räddade mitt huvud från större skador.

För mig är hjälm det viktigaste skyddet. Man kan skada sig på många ställen men fortfarande vara vid medvetandet, men inte om huvudet får sig en rejäl smäll utan hjälm

• anonym-anvandare

Medlem
    6 december, 2003 vid 01:48

Jag röstar på inget förbund (detta är ju inge knyppling eller schack) och inte heller ngn jävla licens. Licenser föder kajt poliser som sedan kommer stå vid stranden o vägra en att gå ut bara för det blåser 20 den dagen. Folk skall ha sunt förnuft o vara riskmedvetna o hjälpa varandra. detta är ju en actionsport. Skall ej regleras då tappar den allt. Man skall ej ta onödiga risker men man skall heller fan inte bara dra ut när det blåser 5m/s o gnälla på risker hit o dit.
    fan åk efter er förmåga o mesa inte till er.

Låte kajten vara fri o inte en Sosse sport med kontroll från sthlm

• patrikol

Medlem
    11 december, 2003 vid 08:46

My sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of this man and to all riders Downunder at this sad time. The Australian Kitesurfing Association (AKSA), has provided information from their investigation of the tragic fatal kiteboarding accident in Tasmania that happened on December 1, 2003. A summary of information provided follows:

The accident involved a kiteboarder of just under three years experience who had come into the sport from windsurfing and possessed a true love for kiting. The rider was in a hurry to launch and get some riding in after work in the area of Hobart along the southeast coast of Tasmania. Tasmania is an island south of the southeast corner of Australia.
    http://www.tas.gov.au/images/tasmap-600.gif

The rider was to fly a 12 m 2003 Cabrinha kite in onshore & shifting winds 16-18 knots gusting to 24 to 25 knots. Although conditions were reportedly gustier than normal, no squalls were present. It was near high tide and a close female friend helped him to launch his kite in the onshore winds while both were standing on land. The kite stalled and fell/flew downwind into low bushes next to some tall pine trees with the kite’s leading edge facing upward. The kite may have been launched a bit closer to 90 degrees off the wind and/or been hit by a pronounced lull causing the kite to stall and drift downwind. The rider was hooked in to his QR equipped chicken loop. The kiteboarder decided to try to do an unassisted relaunch of the kite from the bushes with the kite almost dead downwind in a “hot” launching position WHILE still hooked in. He was hit by a strong gust of shifting wind immediately after he relaunched the kite. The rider was standing only about 10 m (33 ft.) away from rip rap boulders placed along the shoreline for erosion control. He was immediately lofted head first at speed into the rip rap boulders following his hooked in “hot” launch propelled by the strong wind gust. He was knocked unconscious and his kite continued to fly fast, heavily powered kite loops. Bystanders ran up and managed to depower the kite. The kiteboarder died from his head injuries at the accident scene. He was not wearing a helmet.

If there are corrections or omitted information please notify me via private email to (flkitesurfer@hotmail.com)

• kalabra

Medlem
    11 december, 2003 vid 09:09

Inte rolig läsning….det är inte svårt att se likheter med ens eget beteende när man stressar och riggar för att hinna med lite surf. Återigen ser vi att den mänskliga faktorn är den felande länken då vi alla vet att det bästa att göra i ett sånt läge är att helt avbryta starten och börja om på ruta 1 och förlora kanske 5-10 min kitande. Men vem har inte gjort något liknande och tänkt att “jag kör på det fungerar säkert” trots att man vet att man är ute på tunn is. Det är ingen ide´att komma med pekpinnar hur man skall bete sig etc. för det är så självklart. Det är bara så förbannat tråkigt att att människor skadar och när det som i det här fallet går så illa att de avlider då är det inte bara tråkigt det är en tragedi.
    Som fd utövare av flygsport så vill jag bara säga att “det är livsfarligt att flyga det är därför det är så säkert”.

Patrikol, har för övrigt också beställt en UDS och det är ditt fel 🙂

• patrikol

Medlem
    11 december, 2003 vid 10:46

Tror inte du blir besviken. En kompis provade det precis och tyckte det var mycket bra speciellt när det blåste mycket 10-12 m/s han har själv beställt UDS nu. Tänk bara på att när det blåser 10 m/s eller mer så kan man flyga allvärldens väg oavsätt UDS eller ej.

• patrikol

Medlem
    16 december, 2003 vid 23:57

Slutrapport om olyckan i Holland!
    Av Rick Iossi
    http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2301112

• anonym-anvandare

Medlem
    23 december, 2003 vid 10:06

Gath-hjälmar! http://www.hobbyakuten.se
    Nu från 795:-

• anonym-anvandare

Medlem
    23 december, 2003 vid 21:57

Hoppades att den här tråden kunde hållas seriös när jag startade den, då ämnet är minst sagt viktigt för oss. Den ligger ju också som “sticky” av den anledningen, så annonsera dina hjälmar på säljforumet istället…

/ZEB

Sida 8 av 10

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Senaste nytt Forums Kitesurfing Konfen Kitesurfing Kiteolyckor…

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.