Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Konfen Vindsurfing Evo på plattvatten?

• basse

Medlem
    26 augusti, 2004 vid 10:52

Nog pumpar jag alltid… smile.gif Hoppas det verkligen blir en masssa vind nu i helgen också så jag kommer ut på den mera. Men som sagt det går ju bättre och bättre. Första 3-4 gångerna på den sjönk jag ner med nosen ganska ofta i gipparna för jag satte framfoten för långt fram men förra helgen hade jag inga problem med det. Kom igång med bakåtarna på den också för första gången förra helgen och jag upplevde den som lättare att noslanda än Culten…. nu skall man bara lyckas stå efteråt också. Det kommer väl bara man får lite vågor att köra i!!!

• ola-h

Medlem
    26 augusti, 2004 vid 10:54

Dett blir intressant att käna på nya EVO 62:an också, den är 218 och antagligen rätt tunn med tanke på volymen (bredden är 54).

En allmän reflektion när det gäller EVO och även RRD Swallow är att det för mig inte skiljer nämnvärt mellan storlekarna när det gäller hur tidigt de kommer igång med t ex en 5.3:a eller 5.0:a. Slutsatsen är väl att det inte “lönar sig” att gå upp i storlek i tron att man då skall få bättre lättvindegenskaper i vågor. På klassiska vågisar kan man behöva gå upp för att hålla farten i vågen, men redan den små EVOsarna (och RRD etc) håller ju farten väldigt bra.

• dr-masse

Medlem
    26 augusti, 2004 vid 14:33

Klart intressant tråd, detta!

Håll den igång! Till nästa säsong skall nämligen “den lilla” bytas och tankarna här är väldigt intressanta att ta del av, även för en vågnolla som undertecknad.

Eftersom jag seglar där jag seglar så måste min lilla bräda vara kul på plattvatten/chop, men även funka bra i vågor. Å nästa år blir det kanske en resa… Så valet av liten bräda är knepigare than ever, liksom. Prioriteringar, prioriteringar, prioriteringar…

Surfa På!

• ola-h

Medlem
    26 augusti, 2004 vid 19:05

Hålla igång och hålla igång. Det är inte så lätt. Jag kanske kan underhålla dig med lite löst prat jag postat på ett annat forum i ämnet “kort/bred” vågis:

First, I do not agree with Rodry about these boards being in the middle of nowhere. I definitely can see where a floaty classical board makes sense, and of course where a tiny classical board rules too. I also know the FW’s have their followers and that FW boards are the best thing for many conditions and riders. Still a board like the RWW (and other EVO-like boards in general) definitely have their place and it is riding waves in non-ideal conditions. You have to remember that wave riding is a lot about style and taste, but in my opinion there is no competition to en EVO-like board when it comes to trying to ride waves as radical as possible in small or slow waves. A freestyle wave board may be faster, plane easier, go upwind better and be more stable and “poppy” for tricking but they just don’t turn like a wave board. A classical wave board bumped up in size may get going as early as a RWW and may turn as well, but until the riding gets really fast, such a baord simply does not feel as radical. Or if you’re on a small classical board, just dont accellerate and keep speed up the wave as well.

As I written before, all boards types above are allround and can be made to perform in a variety of conditions. The intersection of where they work is very large, but they all have kind of different focii, if you’re at a good and fast wave spot a classical board will probably effer the best performance and if you’re into trickong or jumping at a “bad” spot, a FW will be it but an EVO-type board excels in _riding_ bad waves.

As for the specific ride of the RWW compared to the competition, I would say it is the one wit the most crisp and fast feeling ride. As far as I could tell it is a bit stiffer than the other in a turn, but at the same time pretty loose rail to rail. Of the EVO-type boards I have tried, the RWW 77 was the one that felt closest to a Freestyle wave. Beware though, the conditions were very bad and I can’t say anything about the behaiviour in faster bigger stuff where a board like the EVO 70 is actually very stable on the rail. As I rode the RWW 77 with a 5.3 only, I con’t comment on its potentiel in chop and high wind either (where the EVO 74 and especially 70 again really works well).

Some short comments on the other boards is that the Tabou looks like almost an exact copy of an EVO 74 except for the sharper rails. This makes a big difference thoughm, and the Tabou rides a lot higher in the water. Good for early planing and feeling of speed, but at the same time it gets a bit of a handful in windier conditions and for my style and weight is harder to control when riding the waves (compared to the similar sized EVO 74).

The RRDs are more different and feels liek they have more rocker while still being cloes to the EVOs in that they ride a bit lower. I think this made the RRDs ride with lots of control and my guess it that they will work in more wind. Even at my 68 kilos the 88 worked pretty well with a 5.0. There ahve been some critisism about the RRDs spinning out in the top turn and they sell with thrusters in the form of 4cm deep but 8-10cm wide kite fins. WIth the thrusters on the boards feels a little bit slower up on a plane, but then also very good upwind. Since the board feel like ot gets its turning from the rocker it will be interesting to see how they handle bigger faster stuff. My prediction is that you will have to be prepered for a very curvy ride, ala Kauli or something. An interesting thing with the RRDs is that the 68 is not very wide, only about 53cm. I think that in the future we will find out that these new boards is not defined by their width as one might think now, but more by the extended rail line in relation to a short overal length.

In summary, all of the boards were nice and I could have fun on any of them, but may allround favourite is still the EVO 70. A friend of mine (who is normally on F2) who also rode the RRD and Tabou came back with a smile after riding the EVO and said, the original and the best… but then also added a question mark. As with classical boards, there are many big and small differences in the ride quality of these boards, and as we all get more used to the overall new and different feeling, I think these differences within the class will get more clear.

As for myself, I will be riding and EVO 70 also next year, but are adding and 218*54 EVO 62. Should be interesting.

Well, everything’s a matter of style and preferences. When I have encountered light and a little big (mast) stuff on Maui I have before prefered to stay on a pretty small boards, say 70 liter (I am 67 kg), max 53 wide. For me, not being a pro-level wave rider or anything, I have not seen the need to go bigger. On the other hand many of my friends, more or less the same ability as me, often like to go a bit bigger in light conditions, say to 80-85 liters. Going all the way to 90 liters at your weight does not seem like the best thing in my opinion, at least not of your spot does not require a lot of extra volume for some reason (lots of current/no wind/shorebreak, the need to go “extremely well” upwind in sub-planing conditions etc).

So, if you’re into this “extra volume” thing, than an EVO or something similar will not work as well since you shouldn’t go up in size with these boards if you want to keep the performance in good waves. However, with a small EVO you will still schlog much better than the volume indicates, and still have the acceleration ability to catch the wave in light wind of a bigger board. However, speed is not really better but maneuverability is (at least with the EVOs, the RWWs might be different). Moreover, a “small” EVO will be able to carry a bigger sail than a classical board of similar volume, albeit not so much as a 90 l board.

What “performance” and “maneuverability” means may also differ from person to person. An EVO is not as quick rail to rail as a classical board of similar size, but about as quick as a classical board of similar width (which will be bigger in volume). Also, when really cranking the board over, a wide EVO need more power than a narrrow small classic (but not more than a big classic). Where width is decieving on the EVOs, especially wrt the 70 is holding the line at speed (ie down the line). Here you don’t feel the width as you do when you’re “cranking” and the board hold its rail extremely well. I don’t know hos these things work on the JP RWW. Considering how much difference there is between the EVO 74 and 70, which look very similar, I can’t really extrapolate much towards the JPs big wave performance.

Well, lot of rambling as usual, and I dont know how much I’m helping you. The bottom lines (there are two of them) are that

1. If your mainly into hard fast clean carving, than a classical board might be better even in light stuff, at least if the wave is fast enough and you are good enought to take advantage of the speed. An EVO requires a more precise (or maybe power works too) technique in the transition from a hard carvin bottom turn to a hard carvin cutback. ON the other hand an EVo also in faster stuff easily goes vertical and does easy airs and is incredibly good when landing in white water etc.

2. Like you I believe, I liked a bit shorter classical boards, 7’10s. I have sailed many wonderful longer boards, but when I got on a short board there was always a feeling that “this one suit my body structure”. With an EVO (or similar) I get this feeling also when going to a bigger board. I kind of have the board between my feet and the whole package stills feels small and radical.

If you can, test one. I am pretty sure you will like it.

My vision is that the EVO/RWW concept will infuence all wave board design and that the two distinct classes of boards we see now will evolve into each other. Classical boards have evolved a lot, but at the same time not much have happened with the dimensions. Boards have slowly gotten shorter, especially the long ones, but wrt small classical boards the length and outline have not changed much. My belief is that this has to do a lot with the development of rocker curves. This is s super slow process, when very minor changes in your existing curve may (or may not) lead to something better. I believe the understanding on how the behaviour of a board changes when you radically change the size is not so great and nobody I’ve talked to really knows how to scale a rocker curve in a good way. Actually, this “lack of knowledge”, I think, is the reason why classical wave boards have evolved like they have, ie that the big ones are now almost as short as the short ones. This leaves the door open do basically only working with one single rocker for all board sizes.

So, maybe scaling rockers is impossible, but the new short boards have to have new short rockers associated with them. When we learn how these rockers work, I firmly believe this will also enable us to learn more of how rocker curves work in general. I hope this will make it easier to be more free when designing boards of different lengths, widths and with different outlines and this can then maybe lead to boards that are better optimised for any given rider with any given style on any given wave.

Wave board design is still very much an empirical business, and more experimentaion will hopefully lead to more knowledge.

Personally I would very much like to try an EVO of about 52-53 cm width and with really thin rails. Even though the width is taken away, I bet such a board would still retain its EVO-character and style and be a great board for a small rider like me.

Allt från tråden: http://www.neilprydemaui.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=350

Se även: http://www.neilprydemaui.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=409

• dr-masse

Medlem
    26 augusti, 2004 vid 19:15

Nästan inte sant…

Du har postat svaret på ett inlägg som jag också tänkt svara på (om än kanske inte fullt så långt och uttömande, ah!) och gått och grunnat på en del.

“Störde” mig oxå på exakt hans fras om “middle of nowhere”… 🙂

Tack Ola!

• basse

Medlem
    28 augusti, 2004 vid 20:06

Måste nog börja ta tillbaka det jag sagt tidigare om AmiGu’n. Idag visade den sig från den fina sidan och bjöd på riktigt tidig planing med 6.2 och 24 fena i Lejet. Helt klart går det massor bättre för varje gång och idag stog jag nästan på en bakåt också. Tror dock fortfarande att jag kommer behöva ha mera dragan i gejjorna än de flesta andra i viken men samtidigt märkte jag klart att denmåsta smekas medhårs genom att ställa i fram foten i stroppen mycket tidigare än jag fick göra på Culten….. Ser fram emot nästa vågsession med glädje nu.

Sida 2 av 2

Logga in för att svara.

Installera Surfzone som app?

For IOS and IPAD browsers, Only option to install PWA is to use add to home screen in safari browser

Surfzones app (PWA) har installerats.

Registrera dig

Använd ditt Facebook-/Googlekonto.

Eller e-post

[RM_Form id='2']

Välkommen

Ny diskussion i forum

Senaste nytt Forums Vindsurfing Konfen Vindsurfing Evo på plattvatten?

Du måste vara inloggad för att skapa nya diskussioner.